The BPS Login page is where parents and guardians can go to create and manage their district account. The BPS Login account will give users access to the district's core tools: The Hub and Infinite Campus.
Internet access is not mandatory to use Chromebooks but more tools and resources for learning are available when students are able to connect to the Internet. Students and families who do not have internet access at home have a variety of options:
- Low Cost Internet Options Bloomington Public School families to are pre-approved for low-cost internet offers through non-profit companies including a options for $10-$20 per month.
- Wifi Hotspots: All k-12 schools currently have cellular internet wifi hotspots available for circulation in their media center.
- Extended School Hours: All secondary media centers currently have hours that extend beyond the school day. In addition, some days after school there is additional programming available for students. Consult your school for more information.
- Community Resources: There are many places in the Bloomington Community that have free and open wifi.
- Offline Options: Chromebooks have several offline options which enable tools and using resources even without the internet.
Grants for Internet Essentials
Bloomington Public Schools is partnering with Education Foundation of Bloomington to cover the monthly cost for internet access through Internet Essentials for eligible families. Families that qualify for free and reduced meal benefits will generally qualify for the grant. Learn more about Internet Essentials.
Connecting a School Device to a Network
Students and parents read and sign a student device agreement regarding their school issued student device. Click below to access the agreement and additional information.
Device & Software Filters
Chromebooks will be filtered at home in the same way they are at school because of a device-based filter. Sites that are blocked at school will also be blocked on Chromebooks at home. All filters inherently have holes; the best filter is teaching students to be safe and smart online coupled with appropriate supervision by adults. Parents and students are not able to install an additional device based filter.
It is possible for parents to set up an additional network filter to provide additional limits at home. Setting an additional filter will not enable parents to unblock sites blocked by the school filter through the Chromebook, but will allow additional sites to be blocked or limited. If you are interested in this option, check with your Internet provider for options (ex: Xfinity) or use a third party tool such as OpenDNS or Circle. Both free and paid options are available.